Belize is one of my favorite countries, and remains one of my favorite adventures of all time. We traveled from the UNESCO barrier reef system to the border or Guatemala and all points in between. When you visit the ancient Maya sites, there are no guard rails or ropes to keep you from touching or climbing on EVERYthing.
It’s always fun to tag along on my husband’s work trips. Most of them are in functional cities, which hold their own appeal since I’m nut fussy about needing to be entertained (I am never bored). But on occasion, he heads off into the wild blue yonder and we get to do some grand adventuring. We went to Barbados in February 2016. It’s the southernmost island we’ve visited in the Caribbean, though it’s really in the Atlantic Ocean (and the eastern outlier of the West Indies). I’m a big fan of the ocean, and when we’re at home in North Carolina we recreate in the strong currents and choppy waves of the Atlantic Ocean–the murky greenish waters don’t let you see the bottom, much less any sharks that may be swimming with you. They don’t call the waters off our shore the Graveyard of the Atlantic for nothing, y’all. So anytime we can get to the Caribbean waters, we’re happy snorkelers and drift divers. Barbados is a coral island because its base is made from upwardly-moving coral, not volcanic lava flow. And that means you cut the crap out of your feet when you walk into the water from the shore. 😦 We had a great week, but for me, Barbados was one and done. It was just too far to not have easier access to the sea. Fortunately, there’s a lot more world to discover out there.
[Ed. note: I’m using this post as a running list of sites.]
Some people like to shop on vacation, while some seek out cathedrals and others are working on the Seven Summits. We like to visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Although our son’s only
19 21, all of his adventuring has been with us. My husband traveled throughout Europe with his family when he was a kid, and through Singapore early in his career; and I lived in Germany while my dad was stationed there in the Army in the 70s. We decided to start a list for we Three Adventurers, which is reflected below. It’s a great way to learn about new people and cultures, and a fun way to gain a new view of the world!
- Barbados | Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison
- Belize | South Water Caye Marine Reserve
- France | Paris | Palace and Park of Versailles
- France | Paris | Cathedral of Notre-Dame
- France | Paris | Banks of the Seine
- Italy | Rome | Historic Centre of Rome, the Properties of the Holy See in that City Enjoying Extraterritorial Rights and San Paolo Fuori le Mura
- Italy | Rome | Vatican City
- Italy | Florence | Historic Centre of Florence
- Spain | Barcelona | Works of Antoni Gaudí
- Spain | Barcelona | Palau de la Música Catalana and Hospital de Sant Pau
- Spain | Tarragona | Archaeological Ensemble of Tárraco
- USA | Colorado | Grand Canyon National Park
- USA | Virginia | Monticello
- USA | Arizona | Chaco Culture
- USA | New York | Statue of Liberty
- USA | North Carolina| Great Smokey Mountains National Park